The Graphcore Code of Social Responsibility outlines standards to ensure that working conditions at Graphcore are safe, that workers are treated with respect, fairness and dignity, and that our operations are environmentally responsible.
Fundamental to adopting the Code is the understanding that our business, in all of our activities, must operate in full compliance with the laws, rules and regulations of the countries in which we operate. Our Code encourages Graphcore, as an industry leader, to go beyond legal compliance, drawing upon internationally recognized standards to promote social and environmental responsibility.
Graphcore is committed to obtaining regular input from employees and stakeholders in the continued development and implementation of the Graphcore Code of Social Responsibility.
The Code consists of the following: Section A. Management Principles, Section B. Ethics, Section C. Labor, Section D. Health and Safety, and Section E. Environment
The management of Graphcore believes in principles designed to ensure (a) compliance with applicable laws and regulations related to the conduct of its business worldwide; (b) conformance with this Code; and (c) the identification and mitigation of operational risks related to this Code. The management further aims to promote the continuous improvement of Graphcore with respect to the status of its compliance efforts and level of commitment to social and environmental concerns in its role as a responsible corporate citizen.
Graphcore supports programs for training managers and employees to implement its policies, procedures, and improvement objectives. Graphcore also communicates clear and accurate information regarding its performance, practices and expectations to its employees, suppliers, and customers.
Graphcore will endeavor to educate its employees in regard to the Code and the principles set forth herein, and to notify its key suppliers of the same, and Graphcore will continue to strive to conform to legal and regulatory requirements, the principles of this Code, as well as contractual requirements related to its social and environmental responsibility. Finally, Graphcore will endeavor to correct deficiencies identified by internal or external assessments, inspections, investigations, or reviews in regard to its business conduct and operations.
To meet social responsibilities and to achieve success in the marketplace, Graphcore upholds the highest standards of ethics, including:1. Business Integrity: The highest standards of integrity are expected in business interactions. Any forms of corruption, extortion or embezzlement by employees are strictly prohibited.
Graphcore is committed to uphold the human rights of employees, and to treat them with dignity and respect as understood by the international community.
In accordance with the following, Graphcore endeavors to:
1. Freely Chosen Employment: Graphcore does not use forced, bonded or indentured labor or involuntary prison labor. Work will be voluntary, and employees are free to leave upon reasonable notice. Employees are not required to hand over government-issued identification, passports or work permits as a condition of employment.
2. Child Labor Avoidance: Graphcore does not use child labor. The term “child” refers to any person employed under the age of 15 (or 14 where the law of the country permits), or under the age for completing compulsory education, or under the minimum age for employment in the country, whichever is greatest. Graphcore supports the use of legitimate workplace apprenticeship programs, which comply with applicable laws and regulations. Workers under the age of 18 should not perform hazardous work and may be restricted from night work with consideration given to educational needs.
3. Working Hours: Work weeks are not to exceed the maximum hours set by local law based on the acknowledgement that worker strain can lead to reduced productivity, increased turnover, and a heightened possibility of injury or illness.
4. Wages and Benefits: Compensation paid to employees comply with applicable wage laws, including those relating to minimum wages, overtime hours, and legally mandated benefits. In compliance with local laws, employees are compensated for overtime at pay rates greater than regular hourly rates (as applicable or required by local laws). Deductions from wages as a disciplinary measure are not permitted. The basis on which employees are being paid is provided in a timely manner via pay stub or similar documentation.
5. Humane Treatment: Graphcore does not allow or tolerate harsh or inhumane treatment, including any sexual harassment, sexual abuse, corporal punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse of workers; nor is there to be the threat of any such treatment.
6. Non-Discrimination: Graphcore is committed to a workforce free of harassment and unlawful discrimination. Graphcore will not engage in discrimination based on race, color, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability, pregnancy, religion, political affiliation, union membership, or as otherwise prohibited by applicable laws in hiring and employment practices such as promotions, rewards, and access to training. In addition, employees or potential employees are not subject to any medical tests that could be used in a discriminatory way.
7. Freedom of Association: Graphcore respects the rights of workers to associate freely, join or not join labor unions, seek representation or join workers’ councils in accordance with local laws. Based on the acknowledgement that open communication and direct engagement between employees and management are the most effective ways to resolve workplace and compensation issues, employees shall be able to communicate openly with management regarding working conditions without fear of reprisal, intimidation, or harassment.
Graphcore recognizes that the quality of products and services, consistency of production, and employee morale are enhanced by a safe and healthy work environment. Graphcore further recognizes that continuous employee input and education is vital to identifying and solving health and safety issues in the workplace.
In accordance with the following, Graphcore endeavors to:1. Occupational Safety: Employee exposure to potential safety hazards (e.g., electrical and other energy sources, fire, vehicle, and fall hazards) are controlled through proper design, engineering and administrative controls, preventative maintenance and safe work procedures. Where hazards cannot be adequately controlled by these means, employees are provided with appropriate personal protective equipment. Employees are not disciplined for raising any safety concerns or suggesting safety improvements.
Graphcore recognizes that environmental responsibility is integral to producing world-class products. In manufacturing operations, adverse effects on the community, environment and natural resources are to be minimized while safeguarding the health and safety of the public. To demonstrate our commitment, Graphcore is certified to ISO14001 at its primary testing facilities.
In accordance with the following, Graphcore endeavors to:
1. Environmental Permits and Reporting: Required environmental permits (e.g. discharge monitoring) and registrations are obtained, maintained and kept current and their operational and reporting requirements are followed.
2. Pollution Prevention and Resource Reduction: Waste of all types, including water and energy, are reduced or eliminated at the source or by practices such as modifying production, maintenance and facility processes, materials substitution, conservation, recycling and reusing materials.
3. Hazardous Substances: Chemical and other materials posing a hazard if released to the environment are identified and managed to ensure their safe handling, movement, storage, recycling or reuse and disposal.
4. Wastewater and Solid Waste: Wastewater and solid waste generated from Graphcore operations, industrial processes and sanitation facilities are monitored, controlled and treated as required by applicable laws prior to discharge or disposal.
5. Air Emissions: Air emissions of volatile organic chemicals, aerosols, corrosives, particulates, ozone depleting chemicals and combustion by-products generated from operations are characterized, monitored, controlled and treated as required prior to discharge.
6. Product Content Restrictions: Graphcore adheres to applicable laws and regulations regarding prohibition or restriction of specific substances including labelling laws and regulations for recycling and disposal. Graphcore also adheres to processes to comply with each agreed-upon customer-specific restricted and hazardous materials list.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at:
Phone: +44 (0) 117 214 1420
Post: 11-19 Wine Street, Bristol, BS1 2PH, UK
Graphcore.ai is a site operated by Graphcore Limited (company number 10185006), whose registered office is 107 Cheapside, London, EC2V 6DN (Graphcore). VAT Number: 244987658.